DepEd waits for President Duterte’s go signal to pilot limited in-person classes
Philippine education officials said the country will continue to implement long distance learning for the incoming school year except for some 120 pilot schools for limited in-person classes once President Rodrigo Duterte will allow.
The Department of Education (DepEd) planned to hold face-to-face classes in 120 schools, including 20 private schools when classes start on September 13, said Education Undersecretary Nepomuceno Malaluan.
Malaluan said the DepEd has not yet identified the schools.
The process of selecting the schools, he explained, will be determined upon approval of the joint guidelines from DepEd and the Department of Health (DOH).
Malaluan said the department has not yet received a word from Malacanang about the plan.
Duterte repeatedly rejected call from DepEd to conduct pilot face-to-face classes in the past. It is not yet clear if the president will change his stand amid concerns of a more infectious variant.
The enrollment for basic education for the next school year has reached 14.7 million as of Thursday, lower than last year’s 26,588,428. (John Mahusay)