The flashfloods that hit parts of Tantangan town in North Cotabato were preceded by heavy downpours in the area. (Handout photo)
An entire barangay in Tantangan, South Cotabato was submerged in waist-deep water following heavy downpours Monday, September 6 that affected dozens of families.
Rolly Aquino, acting chief of South Cotabato Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), said Tuesday their emergency response teams have been mobilized to check on the plight of the flood stricken residents of Barangay Dumadalig in Tantangan.
Tantangan lies near from this city, the capital of South Cotabato province.
Aquino, citing reports from the field, said the flashfloods that swept through Barangay Dumadalig subsided after dusk Monday.
“But we are not taking chances. We are observing the situation. If there is need to evacuate residents we shall do so immediately. I hope there will be no more rains in the next few days,” Aquino said.
Hundreds of villagers got displaced by flashfloods that hit Tantangan only about three months ago.
Aquino said South Cotabato Gov. Reynaldo Tamayo, Jr. has instructed the PDRRMO to extend relief interventions to residents of Barangay Dumadalig while validation of damages the flashfloods may have caused are underway.
“There is no evacuation of residents yet so far, at least for now,” Aquino said. (John Felix Unson)