Forty people were rushed to hospitals on Saturday, July 30, four days after feasting on food contaminated with Entamoeba histolytica during a traditional gathering in a farming village in Matalam, Cotabato.
The victims were rushed to hospitals due to recurring painful abdominal spasms, nausea and diarrhea, local officials said.
Matalam Vice Mayor Ralph Ryan Rafael said on Sunday the victims, mostly related to each other by blood, got sick after eating food served during a traditional “pamanhikan” on Tuesday, July 26.
The vice mayor was present in the traditional entreaty ceremony before marriage.
Attending physicians have confirmed that stool samples from patients tested positive for Entamoeba histolytica that causes amoebic dysentery.
Get The News Right In Your Inbox …
Rafael’s office and personnel of their Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office are now attending to the needs of the patients (John Unson)