#CrisingPH submerges Zamboanga Sibugay townsMay 15, 2021
IPIL, Philippines – Typhoon #CrisingPH had submerged several Zamboanga Sibugay towns due to overflowing of rivers Friday.
Thousands of residents have left their homes for safer places as rains spawned by the typhoon had inundated several barangays of Siay and Kabasalan towns.
In Kabasalan, no less than 2,000 residents took refuge in the municipal gymnasium, leaving their homes in haste amid the rampaging flood and growing water level as high as eight feet.
The typhoon, which PAGASA downgraded to low pressure area (LPA), had hardly hit Poblacion and Cainglet villages. It also flooded FL Pena, Banker, Goodyear, Salipyasin, and Concepcion villages.
Crising had also displaced hundreds of residents of Kimos, Batu, Siloh, Balagon, and Camanga villages in Siay town.
Flooding is a recurring problem in Zamboanga Sibugay.
Rains had also caused the overflowing of Sibuguey River last month. The overflowing river had flooded several barangays of Imelda and Diplahan towns.
The recurring floods had caused damage to crops and properties, which the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) said could have been prevented and minimized.
The local government could prevent and minimize the impact of the severe flooding since “it was not a surprise.”
In 2011, MGB had issued the Geohazard Matrix categorizing each town according to its susceptibility to hazard.
Under the matrix, MGB recommends the following measures to mitigate the flooding and its effects:
- Observe proper legal easement along active bodies of water speciifically along the flood plains of Sibuguey River;
- If possible, relocate existing houses vulnerable to flooding;
- Develop and early warning system such as installation of Flood Hazard Warning Signage in critical areas;
- Installation of engineering mitigating measures for flood; Utilization and integration of 1:10,000 scale Geohazard Map in the future land development within the municipality;
- Constant communication and provide updates to barangay officials and the municipal disaster risk reduction and management council;
- Enhance the Disaster Preparedness and Contingency Plan/ Disaster risk Reduction and Management Plan; and
- Observe the rapid increase/ decrease of the river’s water level.
Meanwhile, #CrisingPH further weakens as it traversed Mindanao during the weekend.
State of calamity
Kabasalan mayor Katrina Balladares, on her social media post, said she will convene the crisis committee to declare a state of calamity. The declaration of a state of calamity is necessary for the local government to utilize the calamity fund.
She urged all residents not to lose hope amid the adversity.
The mayor said the local government will release aid to affected residents.
PHOTO: Zoom image