PCCI Mindanao to hold virtual confab, champions infra for businessSeptember 7, 2020
Businesses under the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Mindanao (PCCI Mindanao) will champion a package of infrastructure intervention to ensure business survival amid the pandemic during its 29th Mindanao Business Conference on September 10-11.
The Davao Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII) will host the conference via ZOOM, which it said will draw record audience.
With the theme, “Mindanao: Journeying to the New Normal,” the organizer recognizes “the need to boost confidence, to overcome emerging challenges and opportunities.”
“This stems from a deep understanding of what the new normal presents so that responses to meet them are carefully crafted,” Ma. Teresa Alegrio, PCCI Area Vice President for Mindanao, said.
The conference is an annual event. PCCI conducts the conference to create a venue for businessmen, key industry players, government executives, and private sector leaders to discuss the economic concerns and opportunities in Mindanao.
In a resolution, PCCI Mindanao has requested the national government to prioritize the infrastructure intervention. Forty-two chambers across Mindanao, composed of MSMEs, have endorsed the resolution. MSME is the shorthand for micro, small and medium enterprises.
MSMEs make up over 90 percent of businesses nationwide.
PCCI Mindanao has specifically proposed the following interventions:
(1) To re-start the implementation of the strategic infrastructure projects included in the Build-Build-Build program and the approved Regional Development Council infrastructure projects of the national government. These projects include Shelter Projects under the Marawi Rehabilitation project; Mindanao-Visayas Interconnection Project; Rehabilitation of the Agus and Pulangi Hydropower Complexes; Mindanao Railway; Expansion of the Laguindingan Airport; Panguil Bay Bridge, and Improvement of Night Landing and Runway facilities of Secondary Airports all over Mindanao.
(2) To prioritize funding allocation and procurement of services for all pending ROLL-IT projects under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
(3) To provide access for local private telecommunications companies, Cable TV, Internet and Value-added Service Providers to their existing tower facilities and infrastructure, including unused internet capacity. This is to hasten the deployment of broadband internet services to underserved areas in compliance with its mandate of bringing information and communications technology to all Filipinos.
(4) To enjoin the National Electrification Agency (NEA) to suspend its recent rate increase in Pole Rental Fees for rural electric cooperatives to reduce the costs for Telcos, Cable TV and Internet Service Providers. This is to stop these costs being passed on to consumers, enabling more people to gain access to affordable communications for them to have access to essential and timely information during this time of the pandemic.
(5) To order the reduction of the number of permits required by the local government units (LGUs) and other government agencies, particularly the requisite permits required in the building and erection of Telco cell site tower and radio facilities and in the rollout and installation of fiber optic and coaxial cables underground and aboveground. By doing this, it will help fast track the deployment of Broadband Internet Infrastructure nationwide, crucial to the success of the online education program.
The officers of 42 local chambers had deliberated the resolution during several regional consultations conducted by PCCI Mindanao. (with Mindanao Daily News)