Sibugay netizens react to Palma appeal of Saturday total lockdownAugust 5, 2020
By Antonio Manaytay
Gov. Wilter Palma has appealed for a one-day total lockdown every week to begin this Saturday amid a spike of coronavirus infection. But several netizens of Zamboanga Sibugay have found it counter-productive.
Palma, in a statement, wanted all Sibugaynon to stay at home every Saturday starting August 8, and every Saturday after.
He likewise appealed to all business establishments to shut down their operations every Saturday.
The governor had also appealed to motorized tricycles to stop plying their routes.
He encouraged all mayors and barangay captains to heed the call for a one-day total lockdown every week.
Palma said the measure would help stop the spread of coronavirus infection in the province.
The province has recorded 28 confirmed positive COVID-19 cases as of August 4. Only six of the 28 are active, according to the data from Sibugay Task Force COVID-19.
But several netizens have seen the measure as counter-productive.
Roseller Briones, president of a business support group in the province, on his post in Facebook said he cannot see the “scientific significance” of the measure.
Unless the governor can explain why it is necessary, he said, “we will just simply ignore this appeal.”
Another netizen, Bennet Santander, an industrial engineer, said the “public needs a plausible explanation.”
A retired public school teacher, German Lamberte, said to shut down all businesses even for a day in a week could adversely affect businesses and their employees.
Another netizen, Dodong Matugas, leader of public market vendors, said the local economy had already suffered from the pandemic.
To heed the appeal could further slow down the local economy, he said.
Palma resorted to appeal instead of issuing an order because the province, classified as low-risk area, is under Modified General Community Quarantine.
It is not yet clear if the mayors and barangay captains will heed the appeal for a one-day lockdown for every week.